Monday, December 13, 2010

One Week...

It has been one week without yelling at the boys. I know this seems like a weird thing to bring up, but what a celebration! Over a week ago our days went something like this...

Logan is screaming his death defying holler, reaching for me to pick him up while I'm trying to carry the load of laundry to the laundry room. At the same time Luk is screaming I wanna do this, I want this, can I have this... and BOOM!!! I EXPLODE!!! All I want to do it be able to carry the load of laundry to the washer without hearing that screech that is like a thousand nails scratching a hundreds of black boards or without hearing Luk complain that he wants a snack (when he already got the answer "no").

The days were like that all the time. If I wasn't doing laundry, I was trying to get something done for the husband or even trying to do school with Luk. Logan would be screaming, and for Luk that gave him the excuse to goof off and not answer the questions to his work. BOOM... EXPLOSION!!! I was sick of yelling at them, and I hated it! So, last Monday I made a pledge no more yelling!

This has almost become a detox phase, really. =D I'm used to yelling. Did you ever watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" Just turn that into Cuban and that is what I'm used to. When Reson and I got married, and we moved to Louisville, and I got used to talking in a whisper to the point that when my mom visited she couldn't hear me. Well, needless to say when we moved back the yelling commenced.

With this in mind, the detox of yelling has been almost like trying not to stick that piece of yummy chocolate cake when you already had one slice. However, I have caught myself before doing it, and my conviction has been one with sincerity. So, it has been one week with no yelling for me, and I must say I can thank God for giving me the self control to maintain this.

Proverbs 16:32

  Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
   and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.

I want to my boys to know that their mother is one that wants to talk it out not shout it out. Today was a true testament, and I didn't realize it until, now. Let me explain why. Today, I packed away FOUR bags of clothes that the boys out grew, reorganized their FIVE shelves of books, and reorganized their TWO bins of toys. They had their moments of screaming, crying, and asking questions, but God certainly gave me control when I wasn't even trying to do it. I didn't have to stop myself from yelling because I didn't have the desire to do it.

I praise the Lord for helping me this week, and I pray that He continues to transform me into a Proverbs 31 woman of God!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I, too, struggle with the raising of my voice. But, it is just at home. WHile teaching, I am very calm and that is what EVERYONE who has observed me has said..."You stay so calm, no matter what." I guess, as you know very well, it is much more intense at home. I can totally picture the screaming, and questioning, and pulling from the boys. I have to say I am much better than I used to be but there are thise "explosions" when I have had too much. This is an inspiration for me...
    On a side note, have you read "Don't Make Me Count to Three" by Ginger Plowman? Amazing...I am going to read it again very very soon.

    ReplyDelete