Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Our First Lapbook: "The Letter A"

I'm nervous posting our first Lapbook. After doing much research, I have decided that this is one of the key ways that I want to teach Luk. I am nervous because I have seen some amazing Lapbooks, and I am hoping that I did it right. Luk really enjoyed it, and so did I.
The idea behind a Lapbook is taking a folder, a topic, activities, and creating a mini-book. Luk already knows the sounds and recognizes his letters, but I decided that I would do Lapbooks on the vowels. It gives him a way to become familiar with the different long and short sounds that they make. As for the rest of the alphabet, I plan to make each letter a reference for things like B is for Butterfly. From there, Luk will learn the body and living of a butterfly and so on.

I want to start by writing what I did to plan this out. First, a very helpful site is on my sidebar and you can join for free. It is inspiring and helpful as other moms post their lapbooks and themes. After looking at this site and many others, I came up with my own lapbook and plans.

 Luk loves mazes, tracing, and coloring. I looked for crafty ideas, here is what I planned:
Eric Carle's ABC Game, Apple Superhero, Anteater, Traveling, Ape, The Letter "A" Minibook, Tracing "A"and lines, Counting with Apples, Long and Short "A" sounds Minibook, BIG "A"/little "a", Letter Recognition.

The Cover: The Mouse in our book "airbrushed" the letter 'A,' so Luk painted his.
Luk then created his "First 'A' Book:
I wrote the other word down and demonstrated, he wanted to write "apple." This is without him formerly being taught lower case letters.

Maze time, each character went to apples.

He was so excited that he found his way without crossing the lines.

Find the 'A'
Lunch time: Apples and an Alligator
Now, time to count the apples
Is it the Long 'A' or Short 'A' Sound? Is it a BIG 'A' of a little 'a'?

Finding the Long and Short sounds and writing it.

Finishing up with the Anteater, Ape and Ants...
Here is the finished product...


I decided to make a pocket on the back to hold the worksheets we did. I thought it would be good to keep it all together.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the first lapbook!!! YAY!! We love lapbooks too! Their sooo much fun!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic lapbook and music!

    debbie
    from thl

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU are awesome! and go Luk!! :) I love the "find A" actiity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed your link from the homeschool lounge... Fabulous lapbook! I think you did wonderful, very creative. Your little guy is precious too. :-)

    ReplyDelete