Friday, January 14, 2011

Right Start Math

When I first saw Right Start, I know that it would be perfect for our family. I am happy to say that I was right. Luk loves it, and it is really enjoyable to teach. It didn't take long to convince my very math-savy husband that this was the math curriculum for us. After looking at two other math studies at the convention he gave me the look. We need not look any further. Let's go get the one we know is us. I, also, use(d) the "123's for Preschoolers" from www.metooschool.com to help Luk learn to count and number recognition.

Things I did to help with number teaching with him knowing how to verbally count:
1) Count while showing the number flash cards.
2) Showed the association between the numbers with the cards.
   eg- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Look how they repeat in the next set: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
3) Why then 20? I show him the sets of 10, and how 2 = 1+1, 1+1 = 2. Then show him the 20 = 10 + 10, 10+10 = 20.
4) Once that was learned teaching him the to count in 10's was rather simple. As he counted to 100 with the flash cards, I would group them in 10s showing 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100.

Now, Luk does have problems remember fifteen because it's not "fiveteen" same for fifty, it's not "Fivety".  =D So, I have been reiterating in counting to remember just fifteen, we say "fif" for fifty. He catches on, but I think that this is an age and recognition thing, so I'm not too concerned over it. Other than that he counts to 100 and counts in 10s.

Now, with Right Start the beauty is that it teaches learning quantity. So, when Luk looks at an object you don't count how man, but look at the quantity. If we look at the abacus:

Luk learns that when all on the right it is "clear," from there he learns in "units." When I ask him to show me two, he doesn't go: one bead, one bead is two beads. No, he takes the "unit" of two beads at once. He recognizes that by picturing the "unit." That is one of the keys to why we picked this curriculum. We wanted Luk to look beyond the counting, but to focus on quantity, units, and reasoning. This kid is literally a son of reason, I mean Reson. =) Those that don't know that is my husband's name.

The other thing I enjoy about Right Start is that back when learning the quantities of 1-4 it taught about triangles and quadrilaterals. Once he knew the mathematical terms for these triangles (3 sides) quadrilaterals (4 sides); I knew he would enjoy the Geo Boards that came with our curriculum. It has a purpose to him, now. It is not just something to put whatever shapes, but the purpose to make these quantities.

We are big fans of this method to math. It's hands-on, visual, and the teacher's manual is easy for a mom that has baby like Logan. The planning for it (at the moment) is simple: direct list of manipulatives needed, pictures for help on word directions, and last the lessons are only about 5-10 minutes long, which is perfect for this soon-to-be five year old. The lesson is only 5 minutes, but the learning last longer as he manipulates the Abacus and Geo Board.

Did you notice my little guy in the background on the first photo?
 Do you see him?
He was doing his own manipulative himself while being entertained by what he calls, "Me-Mou." Thanks Mickey!

Also side note on ETC, I decided to stop using the computer. Logan kept distracting Luk. The time given to finish it, click errors were getting on my nerves. So, we will try that later as he gets older because I did like the program, however not being able to change settings like the timer and such was annoying.
We are back to do the books full time. Luk is doing well. He does have a problem with sounds "L" and "W." His pediatrician says that is something that will come as he gets older, and if not, we will work with it more then. I do mouth motions with him, now just in case it is something that will need work later. He also will say the "e" sound for the "i" and vice versa, but then says the word right. I correct him, but it seems like something that he does by mistake. Here is one of his pages.
 

1 comment:

  1. That's super! This week in math, we are starting counting by fives, as well as practicing getting to 100 and counting backwards from 20. I have this whole routine we do that I did when I was teaching kindergarten. He can count by tens. We are also working on number words :)

    ReplyDelete