Friday, March 26, 2010

Science and Social Studies (Check)

As you can read from my past posts, I have Math, Handwriting, and Science Curriculum selected. The science curriculum is me putting together things that is needed to fulfill the Kindergarten Standards. Through www.homesciencetools.com, I have selected a focus on plants and insects. To expand on this, we will discuss how the weather and earth/the solar system effect these things. Along with this follows how we live and the human body. It is an easy way to incorporate all the standards for science. Home Science Tools materials that I plan to use are: Butterfly Garden, Backyard Naturalizer's Backpack Kit (catching/examining bugs and plant life), Backyard, Woods, and Pond Series of Nature books, Butterflies & Moths, Insects, and Weather Series guides, Earthworm Nursery kit, Ant Farm Habitat, Insect collecting vials,  Carnivorous Creations Plant Growing Kit, Desert Hothouse, and Journeying into the Human Body Kit. Seem to be what we are looking at for exploring and experiments, however looking at workbooks, I have a few that I have to choose from: Stepping into Science Kit, Science is Simple, Science Arts, Bite Sized Science, and Sense Abilities.
I highly recommend www.homeschooling.families.com, this site is FULL of great resources. The more I have looked into the more I am excited to be homeschooling Luk. Reson has even gotten more excited about all the opportunities that we can offer the boys.

Social Studies Standards look at culture awareness. To fulfill this, we are purchasing the "Flat Stanley" book series. I am really excited about this opportunity. 
Here is the beauty of this book series. There is this site: www.flatstanley.com. It is a site that offers a list of participates (upon registration, which is free) from ALL over the world. You mail your Flat "Luk" or Flat "Logan" to these locations, and the people that receive them will take your paper doll around to locations that is in their country/state so that you can experience their culture. Then people will send their dolls to you for you to do the same thing. I think it would be great to show people in other countries our "country" town and FL beaches. It will open Luk's eyes to what this world has to offer.
Also, if you check the Homeschooling Families site, it gives many sites to Holidays and Traditions teaches for this subject. I think that the Flat Stanley Project is going to be a great experience, allowing me to show Luk cultures of all kinds, human needs around the world, jobs, awareness of others, and appreciating the wonders that God has created.

The more I look into experiencing this with Luk, the more I feel lead to do it. It is my duty as his mother to teach him these things. The best part is getting to incorporate God's intricate plan for all of these things. Man, I am so looking forward to attending the Homeschooling Conference in May and starting a school schedule with Luk in the Fall. He is hungry for knowledge, and now more than ever I am ready to teach him.

1 comment: