Friday, March 12, 2010

Sight Words, Counting, & Money

We don't have a formal school day in the house. With me finishing up my degree, Logan nursing exclusively, our schooling is on and off for Luk. I will be finishing school in May, and Logan "should" be a bit more independent, or possibly less clingy. This is my dreaming. =) However, the little bit that we are doing now consists of sight words, counting, and money.
Reson and I decided on teaching Luk sight words and phonics. Along with him keeping up with his letter sounds, I have been working with him on words like: see, I, the. It is the words after "I see the ____" that he is sounding out.
I plan on buying the "BOB Books" because all the words are readable. In this particular book, there is some toughies like "elephant" or "monkey", but Luk still seems to understand that he has to sound out each word and their letters. So, I am okay with that since he is aware of it.

Luk seems to love numbers, so we have been working on counting. He can count to 100 with a little bit of assistance. We are trying to make him understand the tens right now. In the beginning he would say "19, 210." He can count to 30 completely alone, but again remember after 39 is 40 seems to be tricky for him. He wants to understand why that is. He has the personalty to want to know everything at once, so we are having to create our own baby steps for him. He knows basic addition and subtraction, but is not familiar with their signs + and - or =. 

We are doing the Dave Ramsey plan in our house. So, Luk is learning that he earns money for doing work around the house. When he helps cook, do laundry, vacuum, clean, etc he earns work money. 
 When he gets his jar full, we go through teaching him that 10% goes to God, 10% goes to his savings, and then we give him the choice to buy something for himself. When he goes to buy something, we make him survey the entire toy section. We want him to think about his purchase before he makes it. In the end, I have to say he picks out the better value. If I am right, he picked the wrong thing once, got upset, and realized that he needed to be smart with his money. A friend, who is homeschooling her daughter told me how she taught money starting with pennies ($0.01) then dimes ($0.10) because the learning of the tens place, then she went back to teaching nickels to represent fives. That is what we are currently doing.

I was going to post the site that I use to determine the curriculum standard for Luk, however they are now charging to look at that information. I will try looking for another site.

No comments:

Post a Comment