Saturday, August 21, 2010

Eye don't see that! The Importance in Eye Exams!

Well, our small community likes to put together Friday Night events as a way to draw everyone together with music, raffles, food, and fellowship. It is great way to have something going on in an area where nothing is usually going on. Last night was one of those nights as we are ringing in the new school year. I was there to promote a concert our Church Youth Group will be hosting.

Our pastor's wife, Jennifer was telling me that they were doing free eye screening in a near-by shop. I had noticed that Luk would squint when watching TV so I decided it was a good time as ever to take. They provided all the basic test that you take when you go for an eye exam. They were unable to determine the air pressure levels because he moved too much. When detailing the letters he had 20/40 for his left eye and 20/30 for his right. The last thing was that they actually were taking photos of the eye, the veins, and optic nerve.

They did his right eye (picture pops up), and it looked good. I say this because I have been in the nursing field. This does not include THAT much knowledge on eyes, but enough to know nothing TOO serious was going on. They take a picture of his left eye (photo pops up), and as any good mom would say, I announced, "That looks weird!" Yea, that is where my tactfulness needs to kick in. Luk looked at me saying, "I'm not weird!" LOL

The Dr. and  the nurse asst. looked at me like I was crazy for saying that out loud. I'm not sure my mother-in-law knew if I was right or wrong with it looking different. I didn't ask her. Again, must practice on being tactful, however I believe in honesty and it DID look weird. I also think the Dr. was surprised I picked it out so quickly. When you compare the two photos that popped up to someone with no real "eye" education, but knows normal medical scans when she sees them... it was weird.

He asked me if there was a history of "lazy" eye in our family. I said, "no." However, my mother-in-law informed me that my father-in-law in fact has one. We don't usually hang out together or go to Dr appointments together, but I was very fortunate to have her there because I didn't know this. Even my husband said if he had been asked that he would have completely forgotten to say it because it was never a big deal for his dad.

I figured a lazy eye would be noticeable, but in Luk's case you don't see it. He said that Luk's eye is lazy/astigmatism. He said that Luk being young should be fine just correcting it with eyeglasses, but if that is not the case then an eye patch will be used on the right eye. He depends solely on his right eye for vision, and since we caught it early in his life the glasses should be enough. He did say that it would take him longer to get used to the glasses because he will have to learn to "see" with his left eye.

Thoughts about this:
1) Grateful that Jennifer told me about the free eye screening.
2) Grateful I had my mother-in-law with me to tell me some family history.
3) Grateful that it was caught early so that we can try to correct the problem.
4) Not so happy that the one thing that Luk has of me is bad eyes. Pretty much like his dad in all things. Maybe that means since Logan has so much of me, he will have good eyes, LOL.
5) Mommy needs tact lessons. Though I must say Luk was not really phased by my comment. It was not said in scary tone just in an inquisitive way.
6) Though I can practice being tactful, I don't believe in hiding anything from Luk. I think in the end it was handled fine. I do think that if I had said it and looked scared or nervous Luk would had reacted the same. So...

Glasses, it is for my little guy! I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't catch on sooner. When we were in the car I was telling Luk about what will happen with his glasses. He seems okay with it. His cousin has worn glasses since he was 1-2 years old. I think he is comfortable with the idea. I, then, asked "Luk, when we do school is it hard for you to read the words that mommy tries to have you read?" He said, "Yes." It broke my heart because I was getting a bit frustrated that he wasn't trying hard enough. I would say, "Luk, you know this. Come on, Buddy." When in fact, he probably was having issues seeing the small letter. SIGH! Kick me in the butt!
Bad mom moment in my book, but my husband tries to reaffirm me that I am being too hard on myself.

Get those eyes checked. If you avoid the dentist (like me), I get it. However, don't avoid the eye doctor, it can really take a toll on your child's education, extra curricular activities, and confidence. There were many children in that room doing exams, and there was one boy in particular that broke my heart. He failed miserable; he was roughly nine years old, and had gone with a friend (and his mom). The nurse told the mom that his mother needed to get his eyes checked because they were 20/80, 20/100. How has that boy been doing in school? Really?

Here in Florida, we do the ridiculous testing with the FCAT. Our teachers and schools are graded on this test. How many of the students in our schools can't see?! It's sad really. This is something that teachers need to think about. Is the child simply not trying or not as smart, or is this child having an issue because he can't see what you are teaching him!

Okay, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment