Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Switch-a-roo? Mommy Thoughts

I'm thinking we need to switch up the daily schedule for Luk. There is the subjects that he has a natural understanding of, which happens to be Math, Science, and Critical thinking. The daily schedule is usually Bible, Spanish, Phonics, Math, and Critical Thinking. The off days are Bible, Science, Geography, and Handwriting.
Phonics... Luk knows it and does it, but he hesitates. I'm trying to build-up his confidence. I want to keep Bible first thing, but I may move Phonics up and send the rest down on the list. On the off days, I'm having him do phonics games to see if it builds his confidence (Today, we are watching "Talking Words Factory"). The other switch is on the off days with handwriting. It seems that putting it at the end of the school time is not working out for him. He gets sloppy with his writing. So, I am moving Handwriting after Bible time.

Luk loves reading. I'm hoping that doing this small switch will get his attention better. He read the BOB Book 1 "Mat," yet when he read it for Daddy he just didn't do it with the same confidence. Time and practice will hopefully bring out the same confidence he has for Math, Science, and Critical Thinking.

Just to let it be known. I'm not overly concerned. I know he is four years old. Just some thoughts going through my mind as a beginning homeschooling momma.

1 comment:

  1. He sounds a lot like how Aidan was (except I didn't discover how quick she was with math and critical thinking things until later.) She too started with Bob books and for months... she'd read easy readers to me no problem but never to anyone else (or would mess then up by being silly) It does seem to be a confidence thing and once she felt she was "great" at it... she started showing off to people with a smug little smile.

    ReplyDelete