Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Handwriting without Tears Pre-K Book Done

Well, today was our last day doing the Pre-K Handwriting without Tears Book. We only use the workbook and Teacher's Guide. I just recently bought the large chalk board for him at the Convention.

He did his "Check Readiness" pages, and I thought I would share them with you.

Page 1
Luk likes to color, but not all the time. So, it took some time to get him to focus and stay in the lines. It is that method of making sure there is control in the writing. Luk has good control, but after some time gets a bit messy (but don't we all).

Page 2
This is a page that is extra. The book asks that the child be able to draw a person (themself or someone else) and draw ten parts: head, eyes, nose, mouth, ears/hair, body, arms, hands, legs, and feet (note extra parts).
The extras for Luk were the eyebrows, eyelashes, neck, and fingers.
He drew his cousin, Gregory. He was so excited to do this, and asked that I write "I love Gregory."


Page 3
Here Luk did well, I am curious why he has a heard time identifying "R." I gave him a hint by saying the sound, and he got it. I almost wonder if he did just out of being ready for nap. He, also, did this with the number "9." Again, I gave the hint that it is before "10" and after "8." He then said it.
As for the writing his name, the first time he just wrote is after I asked him to. Then on the right I asked that he stay on the line. Pretty good, I thought.

Mommy Thoughts:
I was thinking I would start the Kindergarten Book when I started Explode the Code (since it uses lowercase letters), but I may start him now so that he is prepared when he sees it. Hmmm, we'll see. Those are my thoughts on how he did with the his first "test." Now, to figure out how I want to start the next book.

I almost forgot! We got the Right Start Math Curriculum in yesterday. I was shocked; I thought it wouldn't be in for another two weeks. Now, we are awaiting the Science curriculum. Then to really kick it into high gear the planning of the school year!

1 comment:

  1. Hannah gets frustrated with me when I tell her to try to stay in the lines and work slowly so she can do it. Then she justs starts scribbling! She is very stubborn so homeschooling is sometime a challenge because she won't let me show her how to do something the correct way!

    ReplyDelete