Saturday, June 5, 2010

What's happening this weekend?

Scheduling and Planning! Hearts in Training is a blog that I enjoy looking at for ideas. She discussed her school year, and how she plans it. Well, I (of course) fell in love with. So, I am attempting the calendar. I love the idea of light school weeks during the month of December, and the focus of schooling year round. There are a few things that I am taking into consideration as I await our Math, Science, and Bible curriculum to come in the mail. Those thoughts pertain to the Phonics, Handwriting, Geography, and Critical Thinking books I have.

Explode the Code Thoughts:
  • do a lesson a week
  • intertwine the phonics games
  • sight word recognition
Handwriting without Tears Thoughts:
  • start Book 2 (lowercase letters) goes with ETC's lowercase writing
  • remember that he will be writing quite a bit with ETC
  • off days for a more in-depth focus on HWT
Maps, Charts, Graphs Thoughts:
  • do a lesson a day (1-2x/week)
  • part geography with critical thinking questions
  • neighborhood trips (real life to the map/diagram)
Galloping the Globe Thoughts:
  • love it, but putting it off until he understands the Maps, Charts, Graphs
  • beginning this in the second half of the year
  • a country study for two weeks
Critical Thinking Thoughts:
  • remember that the Maps book has a good deal of thinking questions
  • off days a more in-depth focus 
  • have Luk create some critical thinking projects

Luk is very inquisitive, and I plan on going with the flow. The calendar (planning and scheduling) will always just be a plan, a goal. If I see that there is something that needs tweaking it will happen. Also family thoughts, Luk is a kid that wants to know everything. I am already gearing myself that Logan may or may not be that way. Luk is four, and I am feeding his knowledge as he wants it. As Logan gets older, we will see if he is the same way.
Reson and I have already been discussing how we have to remember that Logan may not be ready for school until he is five or six. So, as we are getting started with Luk, my prayers are that the Lord keeps me mindful of what my boys' personal needs are, and not what I force upon them.

Any thoughts on weekly planning???  This is what I was thinking about:
 
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
Bible
Phonics
(Lesson 1 pp 1-3)
Math
(Lesson 1)
Maps, Graphs (Lesson 1)
Bible
Science
(Lesson 1)
Maps, Graphs
(Lesson 2)
HWT
Spanish
Bible
Phonics
(Lesson 1 pp 4-6)
Math
(emp. Lesson 1)
Science
(emp. Lesson 1)
Bible

*Library Storytime*

*Park*

Bible
Phonics
(Lesson 1 pp 7-9)
Math
(emp. Lesson 1 or 2)
Critical Thinking
Science 
(emp. Lesson 1)
*This is without me seeing what the Math, Science, and Bible lessons look like. May change depending on length of each lesson.*

As I begin to see Luk's acceptance will determine if more will be added in a day, but for now these are my random thinkings, and they will probably change as we get closer to August. Here is the beauty of Getting Started!

1 comment:

  1. I love the schedule... I keep wanting to do one myself but we always end up doing everything spur of the moment... I think I'm afraid of scheduling. (or lazy?)

    ReplyDelete