Friday, June 25, 2010

Topic brought up to me...

First, I want to say thank you to those of you who let me know that my blog has helped them figure things out about homeschooling. My main purpose for this blog is to help those that want/need information about how to go about homeschooling, searching for curriculum, co-op programs, etc. So, when I get emails and messages of "thanks," it is pretty encouraging. The most recent message mentioned parents that homeschool for their selfish benefit and not their children's.

She wrote:
"There is one small problem I have encountered with homeschooling (as we are surrounded by A LOT of homeschooling families). And that is the parents who homeschool for convenience sake, and just do what they have to do to get by. These children end up getting an inferior education to what they would have gotten in public/private school."

Reson and I have actually had this discussion, as well. It's a hard thing to swallow, really, that a parent is not watching out for the well-being of their child. There a few ways we can look at this type of scenario: 1) Is the decision to homeschool a calling that you will dedicate your heart to teaching; 2)Are you homeschooling so that you can control everything and keep your child all to yourself, secluded with no real outside living? 3) Is homeschooling just convenient because you don't want to expose the world to your child?

Obviously, the first one is okay. As my friend wrote, "Full-Time" job is now being a parent, teacher, giver of guidance then you are in it for the right reasons. Your life work is dedicated to your children. You know that you want full responsibility on how they learn and experience the world. Now, does this mean control that is mentioned in 2, no. As I have written before, I want my boys to know what the world has, but I don't want them to learn it from an ungodly person. Is sex bad? No, not in the context marriage. Is alcohol bad? No, but if you allow it to consume your heart and you strive on that then yes. Is learning about evolution bad? No, but it should be taught that over time animals do evolve to adapt to the world they are living in, and humans do not evolve from apes. If you plan to control that your children will only learn certain things, control who they talk to, control can be a devastating situation to almost produce abuse.

I would hope that this type of problem is not the norm for those that homeschool. I do know of two people that were taught in one of the "easiest" forms, and as I told the person who wrote to me, you can see it! Those that homeschool for convenience sake usually have children that show it. They usually had social skill issues, they seemed like they just didn't know how to interact with people. They even seem to have attitude problems.
I am not a fan of using social skills as an issue, however when you have parents that are not really looking to out for their child's best interest, this is one of things that is effected.

We see public schools are harboring stumbling blocks to our children; we cannot be that as our children's parents. We have to show them godly guidance, practice self-control, and most importantly that we love them and want the best for them.


If we don't guide but control our children than homeschooling is not going to be what you wanted it to be.  I also have to state that I'm not 100% sure that the education would be inferior than if they went to public school, however I would say that the family relationship will end up being worse than if the child did for to public school.

As I write this, we watch Mary Poppins. Jane writes in her letter, The Perfect Nanny, "If you won't scold and dominate us. We will never give you cause to hate us." Ouch! Think about that from a parent's view point...
In the end, there are always going to be those parents that homeschool for convenience. It may even be so bad that they just stick workbooks in their children's faces all day, or force another home teacher to teach them. Is the education inferior to a public school teachings, I don't know, but I do know that it may give cause to hate you.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of thanks - I wanted to say thank you for the map book recommendation - I think I might get it. It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS! I am so glad that I found your blog! I planning on homeschooling for the first time this year! Scary...and Exciting! I can't wait to catch up on all your great posts! I will be following along!

    ReplyDelete